- Current Students
- Future Students
Credit By Exam
Links for Prospective Undergraduates:
Credit by Exam
Credit by examination provides students the opportunity to receive credit in courses by demonstrating that they have acquired sufficient knowledge of a subject without formal enrollment in a course or study in the classroom.
This opportunity is offered only to students enrolled full- or part-time at the University. The initiation of a credit-by-examination request does not entitle a student to special in-class instruction or tutoring by an instructor. Additionally, a student may only request credit-by-examination two times for a given course and a photo identification card is required at the time of the exam.
Courses Available for Credit by Exam:
- Math121: Introductory Concepts of Mathematics
- Math126: College Algebra
- Math128: Plane Trigonometry
- Math129: Pre-Calculus Mathematics
- Math150: Applied Calculus
- Math155: Calculus 1
- Math156: Calculus 2
- Math 251: Multivariable Calculus
- Math 261: Elementary Differential Equations
- Math343: Introduction To Linear Algebra
Criterion for Award of Credit: Credit only (not grade) will be awarded for the successful completion of examination with a grade of "C" or higher, which is equivalent to 70% or better in scores of the exam. Each exam is a 2-hour comprehensive exam on the material required for the course.
Who May Apply:
A student may apply to challenge a course for credit by examination if:
- The student's official record does not show credit for the course (i.e., any grade of S, P, A, B, C, D, or I).
- The student is not officially enrolled in the course at the time of the examination (A student who withdraws from the course after the end of official registration period is officially enrolled in that course until the end of the semester and not eligible to take that course during that semester).
- A grade of "F" has not been recorded on the student's record within two calendar years of the date of the examination.
Where to Apply:Office of Undergraduate Studies
Inside Colsen Hall Annex
After registration, you will receive an "Application for Credit by Examination" form on which the subject of the exam will be indicated. Bring this form to Dr. Hong-Jian Lai in 320A Armstrong Hall at least one week before the exam day so that an exam on the right subject will be prepared for you. A photo identification card is required at the time of exam.
The credit by exam will be given only three times each year: in the spring semester on the last Thursday of April, and in the summer semester on second Thursday of August, and in the fall semester on the second Thursday of November. The exam time will be from 5:00-7:00pm on the exam day in Room 315 Armstrong Hall. Exam will only be given to those student who have registered for the exam and have a picture ID